Can't find what you are looking for ?
Google
 



Monday, February 4, 2008

OZARK SPEECH

The Ozark manner of speech dates back to more relaxed times when people just said what they had to and didn't worry about "proper grammar" or "proper pronunciation." This pages started with words that

Ozark Speak - English Translation - Proper Ozark Usage

Afeared - Afraid - He's afeared of his own shadow.
A-Fixin - Getting Ready - We're a-fixin to go to town.
Aim - Intend or Plan - I aim to go to town soon.
Biggety - Stuck up or Show off - Well aint she biggety lately!
Chimbley - Chimney - Santa Claus comes down the chimbley.
Clum - Climbed - I Clum that tree over yonder.
Crick - Creek - I'm goin to the crick to go swimmin.
Dawg - Dog - That shore is a dumb dawg
Doin's - A function or gathering - Are you goin to the doins tonight?
Dreckly - Soon - I'll be there directly
Et - Eaten - Have you et yet?
Fetch - Bring or Go Ge t- I want you to fetch the eggs fer me.
Fer - For - Lets rest here fer a spell.
Frog - Strangler - A Hard Rain That shor was a frog strangler.
Gander - To look - Take a gander at that there bird!
Git Get Go git some milk from that cow.
Gully warsher - See Frog Strangler - That shore was a gully warsher.
Haint - Ain't - I haint going to the store for Roastners today.
Hankerin - Craving - I have a hankerin for Roastners.
Hep - Help - Hep me warsh this dawg!
Hisn - His - That dog is hisn
Holler - A Valley - My family lives down in the Holler.
Kivver - Covered - That tree is kivvered with leaves.
Liketa - Nearly - I liketa broke my neck when I tripped
Mighty - Definitely - She shore is mighty mean today.
Naw - No - Naw, I aint a-fixen to go to the doins.
Necked - Unclothed - Get Necked and throw them clothes in the warsh tub.
Onest - Once - Child, I don't aim to tell you more than onest!
Parts - Area or Neighborhood - What parts do ya'll come from?
Peakid - Pale or sick looking - You look mighty peaked today.
Pill-uh - Pillow - That shore is a fluffy Pilluh
Pizen - Poison - There are pizen snakes in these parts.
Plumb - Not a plumbing term - I shore am plumb worn out (very tired).
Poke - Paper Bag - I'm a-fixin to put the eggs in a poke.
Pritnear - Almost - I'm pritnear done with my mendin'.
Put Out - Angry, Annoyed - He shore was put out today.
Roastners - Corn on the Cob - Them roastners shore are good.
Set - Sit - Ya'll set and rest fer a spell
Shed of - Get rid of - I shore want to be shed of this cold.
Shore - Sure - I Shore like those flowers.
Skeered - Afraid - He is skeered of his own shadow.
Smart - To hurt - That leg shore smarts.
Spell - A period of time - I went to church fer a spell today.
Tarlet - Toilet - Youngun, stop dancin and use the Tarlet!
Wallerin - Whining or Crying - Sit still and quit yer wallerin
Warsh - Wash - Warsh yer hands 'n face befer dinner.
Winder - Window - The pie is coolin on the winder sill.
Ya'll - You All - Ya'll set with us fer a spell.
Yeller - A color between orange and green. - Look at that Yellar dog over yonder.
Yonder - Over there - Billy Bob went yonder to fetch hisn dawg
You'ns - You or all - You'ns better aim to come for vittles
Yourn - Yours -This aint mine is it yourn
Younguns - Children -You younguns better git to bed now.

No comments: