Can't find what you are looking for ?
Google
 



Saturday, May 17, 2008

Reducing The Power Consumption Of Overclocked PCs

This is a great article about reducing the power consumption of Overclocked PC's (link). Some excerpts:

Now, that must sound pretty inane. Overclocking a PC seems to be as far apart from power saving as it can get. After all, overclockers employ all kinds of power-guzzling methods to improve their CPU's overclockability, from increasing the CPU core voltage to employing more powerful cooling systems. Even the act of increasing the clock speed increases power consumption.

Having overclocked all my PCs for the past 10 years, I am one of these overclockers. I have overclocked everything from a 300 MHz AMD K6-2 processor up to my current gem, an Intel Core 2 Duo E6850. I've even gone to the extent of water cooling almost every processor I've owned since the year 2000. So, the decision to reduce power consumption would seem insane, even to me.

However, there are a few good reasons why I would want to do this. Even though I love overclocking my PCs and making them run to the best of their ability, the increased power consumption has resulted in :

* A very hot room, especially in the afternoon!
* High electricity bill.

No comments: