Can't find what you are looking for ?
Google
 



Monday, December 31, 2007

Accessing protected documents in 'My Documents'

Q. Recently I have run across this problem several times. The persons XP-home PC has died. P/S tests bad but a new one produces no results either. Unplugging all cards etc also produces no results.
They have important files on the hard drive they would like to recover. I put the hard drive in another XP-home PC as the slave drive and try to access it. All data seems to be OK as well as the drive. But the problem is the person also had their User Profile password protected.
You can access and copy all files on the drive except their "My Documents" and of course that is where everything they consider important stored. Is there a workaround for this???

Ans: I booted to safe mode, logged in as administrator. then to My Computer.
From there I tried it in stages 1 at a time.

1. Tried to access the the folder in question that was password protected on the "old" drive. Still could not access.

2. Right-clicked on the drive and chose Security, then tried to take ownership of the "users" folder under "Documents and Settings". This allowed me to access the folder in question while still in "Safe Mode", then I rebooted to normal.

3. After reboot, the files were still not accessible so I booted safe mode again and repeated step 2 and then chose sub-folders under "My Documents" and changed ownership from that level and rebooted again.

4. This time all worked as planned. I copied all files to a more convenient location and then placed a shortcut on the desktop for the user.

No comments: